What is Hydrocephalus?
Individuals who notice that they cannot maintain their body balance, or focus on objects should consult the best neurologist in Lahore. The symptoms may be an indication of serious illness, that increases the complications and lead to permanent damage to the vital organs. The specialist will conduct several relevant tests to diagnose the disease and its severity. The treatment will improve the symptoms of the patient and avoid further health-related complications.
Hydrocephalus is a neurological condition in which the person suffers from intellectual, cognitive, and developmental impairment due to excessive fluid accumulation in the brain cavities. Individuals above sixty are more likely to suffer from the condition and require urgent medical attention to avoid deadly complications. There is no permanent cure for the disease; however, the treatment options are proven effective in managing the symptoms.
Symptoms of Hydrocephalus
The symptoms one with hydrocephalus exhibits are:
- The patient suffers from constant headaches, which worsen at the time and become unbearable.
- The patient can not properly focus on the objects due to vision problems.
- The patient cannot maintain the body balancer and struggle to walk properly.
- The patient is often seen complaining about weakness in the legs.
- The patient remains drowsy and lethargic.
- The patient appears irritable, and the caregivers can notice a change in their personality,
- The patient is more likely to suffer from seizures and related problems.
Causes of Hydrocephalus
The known causes of hydrocephalus are:
- The patient may suffer from the condition after a head injury or trauma.
- Individuals with brain infections such as meningitis are at a higher risk of suffering from hydrocephalus.
- People with a history of brain surgery are at a higher risk of suffering from hydrocephalus.
- People with brain tumors or stroke are more likely to suffer from the complications of fluid accumulation in the brain.
Complications Associated with Hydrocephalus
The complications associated with hydrocephalus are:
- The patient is more prone to suffer from memory problems such as dementia,
- The seizures and weakness in the legs can cause distress and hinder the quality of life.
- The inability to complete tasks can cause anxiety and other psychological disorders.
- The patient may suffer from bowel and bladder disorders.
The ways that can help an individual avoid the chances of suffering from hydrocephalus are:
- People should prioritize their health and get vaccinated against meningitis to avoid complications.
- People with a head injury should consult a doctor to avoid the accumulation of fluid in the brain.
- People should wear a helmet and seatbelts while driving to avoid accidents.
Tests to Diagnose Hydrocephalus
The test that helps diagnose a person with hydrocephalus are:
- The doctor will perform a thorough physical examination to check the body movement and ask the patient to provide a family history to detect the cause of the neurological disorder. Additionally, the history of head injury or trauma can help the doctor understand the cause and severity of the condition.
- The imaging testing such as CT scans and MRIs helps detect brain abnormality and accumulation of fluid in the brain.
- Spinal tap tests help detect the infection in the body, that causes accumulation of fluid in the brain.
Effective Treatment Options for Hydrocephalus
The procedures that help treat a patient with hydrocephalus are:
- The shunting process helps divert the CSF to other areas to improve brain functioning.
- The endoscopic third ventriculostomy is a procedure that helps in draining the fluid.
- Dietary Guideline for Patients with Hydrocephalus
- Patients with hydrocephalus must consume food enriched with omega-3 fatty acids.
- The patients should include whole grain and dairy products in their daily diet.
- The patient must avoid alcohol and processed food that can affect the overall physical health and cause further complications.
People with hydrocephalus must consult a neurologist at Reliance Hospital. The specialist will detect the cause of the disease and provide guidance regarding treatment options that will allow the patient to function adequately in every aspect of life. Productivity will help them in their personal and professional life.